It’s that time of year when summer vegetables are in abundance and fresh corn is oh so sweet. Every summer the heat reaches a point where turning on the oven sounds like actual hell to me, so this salad is great because the only cooking required is the quinoa, everything else is just chopping vegetables!
Fresh sweet corn, crunchy persian cucumbers, and juicy cherry tomatoes make up the vegetable portion of this dish, then we add kalamata olives and feta cheese for that delicious salty brine, and a heavy dose of parsley and mint to keep everything tasting fresh. I don’t bother whisking or measuring the dressing – simply squeeze lemon juice over the top and drizzle with some good olive oil, season to taste with salt and pepper, and you’ve got yourself a great summertime meal!
Quinoa is always very satisfying to me, but if you’re wanting a little more protein, I would suggest grilled chicken or roast chickpeas.
Summer Quinoa Salad with Fresh Corn & Feta Cheese
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 persian cucumbers
- 1 head corn
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup mint
- 1/2 cup feta cheese If you’re lactose intolerant like me, Violife makes a great vegan feta!
- 1 lemon
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Rinse and drain the quinoa. Combine quinoa with 1.5 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, about 15 mins. You can also make quinoa in an instant pot! Simply combine quinoa with 1.5 cups water, 1 teaspoon salt, and a small drizzle of olive oil (this will prevent sticking), lock and seal instant pot, then set to 1 min high pressure cooking. Let pressure release on it’s own for 10 minutes before fluffing quinoa with a fork.
- While the quinoa is cooking, chop cucumbers and tomatoes into small bite size pieces, then add to a large mixing bowl. Roughly chop the parsley and mint, then add to bowl. Slice olives into small rounds before adding to the bowl.
- Using your hands, remove outer green corn husk and silk strands, then rinse corn cob under water. Trim both ends of the corn cob so it can stand flat upright. Starting halfway, remove corn kernels by cutting down the cob close to the core. Rotate until all kernels have been removed, then discard core and add kernels to mixing bowl.
- When quinoa is done cooking, allow to cool for about 10 minutes before adding to the mixing bowl. Crumble feta over the top, then stir all ingredients together.
- Slice lemon in half, then squeeze the juice over the salad. Drizzle olive oil over the whole thing, season with salt and pepper, then toss salad to combine. Taste, then add more salt if needed.